Related ToolsGPSBabel isn't the perfect tool for all jobs and doesn't try to pretend that it is. Here's a collection of related tools.
A number of tools are Powered by GPSBabel to use our powerful GPS communications facilities, filtering, and format conversions.
- Geocaching Swiss Army Knife is a Windows program that specializes in manipulating geocache data. GSAK is a very full-featured program. It uses GPSBabel for USB/serial and most export formats.
- MacCaching is a native, full featured, Geocache manager for OS X. Caches are organized into "Cachelists" much like mp3s and "playlists." Paperless caching with an iPod is also supported. It uses GPSBabel for all GPS interfacing and file import/exports.
- Google Earth uses GPSBabel for all GPS communications and several file imports.
- Quantum GIS is a free Geographic Information System (GIS) built for Linux/Unix. It supports raster, database, and vector formats (including GPX). It can use GPSBabel to transfer data to and from GPS devices and to import GPS data from formats other than GPX.
- Le Petit Poucet is software to display and edit GPS routes and tracks in a 3D scene.
- Gmap4, an enhanced Google Map viewer, uses GPSBabel to convert GPX and TPO files to KML prior to displaying them on the map.
- Coordex is a Mappoint plugin for GPSBabel.
- GPSBabelWrapper allows the rest of us to use rich functionality of GPSBabel via familiar Windows interface. It builds a command line and calls GPSBabel.
- Geotag Open source tagger uses GPSBabel for GPS communications.
- GpicSync Open source tagger uses GPSBabel.
- HoudaGeo Commercial geotagging for Mac uses GPSBabel.
- GPSVisualizer has a great online web interface to GPSBabel.
- GPSgames uses GPSBabel behind the web interface to provide waypoint downloads in multiple formats.
- GPSLog Labs let's you map and graph your running, riding, hiking and much more. It uses GPSBabel to support almost any GPS logging device and and to automatically classify and process your activity.
Here are other tools that perform tasks similar to what we do:
- EasyMPS is a
tool that is similar in goal, but has a more focused scope. It is a
Windows program that converts and merges geocaching.com loc, gpx,
and Garmin Mapsource files.
The author of this program has helped GPSBabel development by sharing his knowledge of Mapsource. Thanx, Ian!
- GeoConv is a Windows coordinate conversion program that converts between different coordinate file formats, coordinate types, and datums.