GPSBabel 1.4.3 beta released!
GPSBabel version 1.4.2 was fun. It's been downloaded nearly a million times in the year it's been active and in that time, we've collected a number of fixes and enhancements that we wanted to share. Here's a sampling:
- Fix translations for GUI on Windows. German, Italian, Hungarian, Russian, and a few others should now work. If your language is there, please contribute a translation. It's easy and doesn't require you to program.
- A new writer for geocaches in KML (Google Earth) provide better visualizations of high-density areas.
- Many KML improvements including validation fixes, aviations units, fixes for min/max alt.
- Adds iblue757 GPS support.
- Add support for Holux M-1200E GPS.
- Add the Minihomer variant of Skytraq.
- Add FlySight GPS support.
- Add Garmin FIT support.
- Add Land Air Sea format for GPS Tracking Key Pro.
- Many Navicache improvements.
- Fixes to track filter to not mangle tracks recorded at low speed when segement filter is applied.
GPSBabel 1.4.3 is in some ways about closure: it will not support PowerPC for Mac OS/X and it's the plan for this to be the last release built in C. When I started the code base that became GPSBabel in 2001, C was the obvious choice; C++ really wasn't viable yet and the limits of portable code weren't that restrictive for the GPS of the era. But now things like network connectivity and sub-second GPS are expected and there's no reason to not use better tools. So before we rip out a lot of the plumbing, we wanted to get a maintenance release in your hands.
Supporting the Project
We have an endless demand of time and equipment. If you find GPSBabel useful, please help support it.
It is available for download now.